A couple of weeks ago in The Inspired Women Community we were sharing what our biggest struggles were and many women said focus. So many business owners and entrepreneurs have this struggle. There are many reasons we do and many of those reasons are something we can control. Focus is a key piece to good time management.
How does focus play into time management? By focusing we can be more productive and get more accomplished with less time. For example writing this blog post will take way longer than it should because my children are home and I can’t focus with their conversations going on in the background. On the days that they are in school blog posts take me no time at all but today I’ve already had to pause three times to ask them to be quiet so I can focus.
How to improve your focus
1) Find a quiet place to get things done. Ask those around you to let you have some space if necessary.
2) Minimize distractions by turning off all notifications on your phone. No vibrates or dings or numbers. You can even turn your phone on DO NOT DISTURB mode.
3) Focus on one thing at a time. Do NOT multi task. This is why having only a handful of goals like I mentioned in New Year Goal Setting is so important.
4) Brain Dump. Write down all the things on your mind before you begin so you have a clean slate to do the task at hand.
5) Chunk out time. It’s shown working for 60-90 minutes then allowing for 10-20 minute break allows us to be most productive.
FOCUS= Follow One Course Until Successful. When we have multiple things going on at one time we are not as productive. Creating a schedule that allows for ample time to focus on one task will allow you to get more done with less time. If possible work on that one task until it’s complete.
Sometimes minimizing distractions means we have to leave where we are and go somewhere else. Today for example I would get more done if I had left my kids with a sitter and went to a coffee shop to get work done instead. By minimizing distractions and having a working environment conducive to creativity we are more likely to be able to focus.
Remember this is your time and you are in charge. YOU ARE ENOUGH!!!
Join Megan Hall's Newsletter List
Subscribe and get weekly inspiration right into your inbox