This week I stared at my schedule and every single day did the bare minimum. After a hellish week that continued onto this week I knew I was desperate need of a mental health day or week. I kept thinking “I should be _______ but I’m not.” You know what? That’s ok!
Sometimes mental health days are necessary. It may not be because of what you do for a living but because of life in general. I L-O-V-E what I do but life happens. My release this week has been coloring. Recently I was introduced to the joys of adult coloring and it literally has been so therapeutic for me.
I did get done the few things I “had” to do this week because as a one woman show I certainly should not just go AWOL for a week. However just like I teach my clients I tuned into myself and realized I desperately needed a break. So a week of coloring and reading it has been.
How did I get over the “I should be ____ but I’m not”?
- I made sure I did at least one thing towards my business each day . Like writing this blog post 😉 Then I didn’t feel like I was completely slacking.
- I reminded myself of all the times I pushed myself to get things done despite of my desperate need to recharge. Guess what? It never ends well.
- I dug into why I was needing a mental health day. Too many emotions and I needed to feel them before they tore me apart.
- I gave myself to reschedule the things that would bring me more stress and only do the things I enjoyed doing. Three podcast episodes DONE!
- I asked myself what the consequences would be if I didn’t give myself a break and what would they be if I did. Guess which won?
Mental health days are something everyone needs now and then. We all face adversity and stress. Maybe your lifestyle doesn’t allow for a week worth of them maybe it’s just a day or two. Take how much you can and try to get yourself to a place of replenishment.
Self Care is so crucial when it comes to our mental health. As someone who has a lifelong battle with depression I know when I don’t make that time to care for me bad things happen. It’s ok to let go of the “I should be _____ but I’m not” and just take care of yourself for a change. It will all still be there when you get back .
If you need support on your life’s journey join us in The Inspired Women Community. Remember YOU ARE ENOUGH!!!
Join Megan Hall's Newsletter List
Subscribe and get weekly inspiration right into your inbox