Can you believe that the year is almost done? Me either! It seems to fly by so fast. We know on New Years Eve everyone will start setting their New Year Resolutions. This is where things start to get a little crazy.
As much as I believe Resolutions are fantastic how many times do people really stick to them? Not very often. That’s because we think we need to make all the changes at once. Then we get overwhelmed after a couple of weeks with doing it all at once and give up.
I want to share 3 habits you can start implementing now so the New Year isn’t so daunting.
When you get up in the morning do you immediately go for your phone and check everything? This one is for you! I use to be like that too and it made me a stress case. Instead of slowly easing into my morning and giving myself time to wake up I was immediately starting on other people’s agendas. Not anymore!
Here are few things that help me start my day off right:
- Wake up with plenty of time to get ready ESPECIALLY if you have kids
- Try waking up within an hour of the same time every day
- Give yourself at least 15 minutes before you pick up your phone or open your computer.
- During those 15 minutes do something to focus on you. Ex: meditation, journal, affirmations, etc…
Make this time to priority every morning and don’t forget your morning starts the night before with a good night sleep. You can start small with 15 minutes and gradually increase it to 30 minutes or more over time.
Every year I see a ton of resolutions about weight loss and getting fit. Why wait to start focusing on your health? You don’t need to go from zero to hero over night. If you wait until the New Year you will feel pressured to go all in versus starting slow right now. Plus we all could use a little activity to burn off those holiday cookies.
Here are a few things that might help:
- Start Slow. Not working out currently? Make it a point to get in three times a week instead of shooting for all seven immediately.
- Find Something You Enjoy or At Least Tolerate. I am not telling you to do Crossfit if that’s not your thing. You can start with just walking if your not currently doing anything else.
- Get an Accountability Buddy. You can exercise together or just check on each other to be sure your staying on track.
- Slowly Progress to More Days, Higher Intensity, or Longer Workouts. Don’t feel like you have to do it all today.
Reduce the overwhelm and chance that you will give up later by starting now. Little steps over time add up. By starting now you will be in a routine of regular activity when New Year hits . Yay you!
Plan Out Your Week
Not planning out our week is like taking a road trip to a new place without a map. We will drive aimlessly, following signs and hoping it gets us to the right place. With directions we can make it to our destination faster and with less confusion. The same thing goes for planning out our week. Without a plan we just aimlessly go through our week hoping we will remember everything we need to do and get it all done.
How can you plan out your week? These tips will help:
- Brain Dump. Take 5-10 minutes before the week begins to write down everything that you can think of that needs to be done whether that week or in the future.
- What need to be done this week? Write out the items from your brain dump that absolutely have to be done this week.
- Create a Schedule. You can write it out, use a planner, create something on your phone or computer. No matter what you choose make sure to plan out each day of the week.
- Don’t over schedule. Leave room for the unexpected to happen.
It may seem tedious to create a schedule for your week every week. trust me it’s worth it. The more consistent you are doing this the more productive you will be. You will eventually find yourself getting more accomplished in less time.
Remember creating these habits doesn’t have to be an overnight process. Consistency is the key. Get started now and you will be well on your way to totally rocking your New Year.
Need Help ordering your chaos and developing the habits and routines that will allow you to get your life in order? Schedule a call below to see where I can help.
Join Megan Hall's Newsletter List
Subscribe and get weekly inspiration right into your inbox